GNU Make: see http://www.gnu.org/software/make/
Links on this wiki concerning the (ab)use of GNU make in the service of automated bioinformatics analysis workflows:
- distmake and qmake: SGE-enabled make
- Makefile Manifesto: a rant against make's limitations
- omake: a re-make of make that seems to fix some of the problems listed in the Makefile Manifesto
- Bio Make: desiderata for a bio pipeline-oriented make
- Bioinformatics workflows: a higher-level overview
- Apache Ant, Grid Ant, CoG Kit: the Java & Python alternatives to make
- Erlang language: a pure-declarative alternative to make?
Other, related links:
- "A Pipeline is a Makefile" -- article @nodalpoint.org
- Parker et al.: Evolving from bioinformatics in-the-small to bioinformatics in-the-large. OMICS 2003;7:37-48.
- makepp, a.k.a. make++
- Article about alternatives to make at freshmeat.net
-- Ian Holmes - 06 Mar 2007